Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Exploration & Learning:

As part of my continuing development in the profession, there are a couple of issues which I would like to look at an explore a little more in depth. One of those is the practice of architecture through the firm. I will be using my current employer as the case study.

The Architectural firm was formed in 1985, and has been in business for twenty-two years. On November 18 of this year, I will celebrate my seventeen year anniversary with them. Just seems like yesterday when I started. Which has allowed me the unique opportunity to see the various phase of growth which a firm experiences. Over this period of time, I have seen many changes in the firm and people who have come and gone through the firm.

This past Friday July 18, we had evaluations at the office, these were not necessary employee evaluations they were office evaluations. Everyone was given the opportunity to speak with the two partners in our office. There is a second office about sixty miles away, there is little interaction between the two locations with the exception of the three partners. The firm today is note the firm which I started at just a few years ago. Sense the first of the year, we have seen the lost six employees for various reasons, and with the current economic situation the firm is not going to replace those employees in the near future.

There have been some issues within the firm which need to be addressed and a new fresh attitude adopted towards the profession to insure that the firm moves forward. What it also needs to do to be able to attract and keep the future of the firm.

Over the next several weeks or months, I’m going to take a close look at where the firm is today, what it has done right and those it things which need improvement.

5 comments:

Herb Childress said...

Mark, I'll be interested in how you identify the "issues within the firm" and "the new fresh attitude adopted towards the profession." What do you think the old tired attitudes are that need to change?

MaloyMark said...

Herb, something that I’ve had the pleasure or misfortune to do is to be the one that’s had to wait on those leaving to clean-out their desk. Neither partners nor office manager anywhere around after five when they leave. So in an impromptu to way, I’ve conducted exit interviews on most everyone that’s left. Have lots of feedback from them and those who have left started firms on. The passion for the profession and what we do is gone.

Herb Childress said...

That's a really important "data set" to explore. What is it about either your firm or the profession or both that's causing people to leave you? For that matter, why aren't the partners or office manager around to wish the departed good luck with their next steps? Maybe that's part of the problem...

larch03 said...

In most places that are 'behind-the-curve' you find a reactive attitude in the Management: "What? People here are not satisfied? I never noticed!" That's because they have forgotten that the moles who live in their 'cube farm' actually do the bulk of the pen-to-paper work. They are not assets rather, they are viewed as parasites....granted, some are. I belong to Generation X, but was raised by two Depression Era parents who drilled into me that if you were going to do something, do it the best way you know how. They also told me a paycheck is good, but an "ataboy" is even more important sometimes. The humanity is gone from the workplace. Now it's all about making a dollar no matter what you have to do.

marfax said...

I am one of those who Mark has seen go after 12 years of working there. What used to be a family working together (bosses included) had turned into a "watch your back and wait to get chewed out" environment. I am now working in an environment that used to be at P&M. Where it went I do not know. I have pity on those remaining and hope things somehow get better for everyone.